General Rules and Information
Please read carefully to make sure your entries will not be disqualified or have any deductions.
• Dancers may compete in more than one number in their category and age division.
• No use of fire, glass or live animals on stage.
• Stage must be left clean by performers.
• No coaching from audience.
• General lifts OK.
• Dance shoes are strongly suggested to be worn in ALL ballrooms, back stage, hallways, and while competing at ALL times. Dancers who dance without shoes, do so at their own risk. HSDC is not responsible for dancers who choose not to wear shoes.
• The competition stage is approximately 24’ x 40’.
• Only 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners (Gold, Silver, Bronze) from the Competition will be awarded prizes
• Courteous behavior must be exhibited at all times at event.
• Except for technical difficulties on the part of HSDC , re-performance of any routine will NOT BE adjudicated.
• Routines are expected to perform in the order they are scheduled.
• If dance movements or costuming are deemed to be too suggestive or otherwise inappropriate for our family audience, or if the music contains vulgar or inappropriate lyrics, the routine will be scored lower or can be disqualified by the judges.
• A 10 point deduction will be made for routines that are not completed.
• Sportsmanlike behavior is expected at all times on stage, backstage, and in the dressing rooms. Failure to display proper decorum for all participants and staff members could result in immediate disqualification.
• Contestants will be judged by a panel of competent judges, and all entrants agree that the time, manner, and method of judging the contest shall be solely within the discretion of the directors and producers of HSDC and that all decisions of the judges are final.
• Contestants and studio/team staff by virtue of entering HSDC event give their permission and consent to the directors of HSDC to use their images or photographs and/or appear in videos, television, or any other electronic media for advertising, news coverage or any other commercial use of our events.
• Any performer competing in dance competitions takes certain inherent risks. These include, but are not limited to sprains, bruises, pulled muscles, and broken bones. Participation in this competition indicates the acceptance of such risks by performers. Therefore by virtue of entering this event, it is agreed that participants will not hold HSDC or its officers, directors, officials, staff or employees responsible for injuries sustained or illnesses contracted by them while in attendance and/or participating in any activity related to HSDC . HSDC and the hosting facility are not responsible for personal injury to either contestants or spectators. HSDC is not responsible for lost or stolen property. Do not leave your property and valuables unattended.
• Every solo, duet/trio, or group routine must be ready to compete when their number is called. We will work with costume change conflicts; however, if you do not notify the backstage manager or sound personnel, you risk major point deduction. HSDC staff makes all efforts to insure the competition runs on time according to the time schedule that is sent to all entrants. Each entry should be ready to perform 30 minutes prior to the listed time in the event the competition runs early.
General props accepted, however due to the movement of the ship we recommend the limit of props.
Scenery or backdrops requiring the use of theater fly bars may not be used.
No dangerous or oversized props. No air horns or similar devices are allowed.
Special fog or smoke is not permitted.
Fire, swords and knives on stage are prohibited.
Simulated weapons with dull, safe edges are acceptable with approval of HSDC Staff.
No liquid, gel, aerosol, glitter, or similar substance that would affect the dancing surface is allowed.
Performers must leave the stage as it was when they started their entry without any “litter”.
If the stage is "littered" during a routine please be prepared to clean it up immediately after the routine is finished with the broom provided. Safety is always our main priority. Where there is a safety concern, please speak to a HSDC Staff member.
Each entry must furnish its own music marked with the contestant:
Name, Division, Category
via email 2 week prior to competition.
It is recommended that you bring a second copy as a backup in the event of malfunction of original.